Chickpea-Spinach Curry With Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 15.5-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cucumber—peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- naan bread, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the chickpeas, spinach, 2 cups water, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper to the saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is slightly thickened, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, cucumber, cilantro, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Serve the chickpea mixture with the yogurt sauce and naan.
- Per Serving
- Calories 277
- Fat 11g
- Sat Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 4mg
- Sodium 837mg
- Protein 16g
- Carbohydrate 33g
- Sugar 6g
- Fiber 10g
- Iron 4mg
- Calcium 251mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
To add some heat to this dish, cook half a chopped jalapeño along with the onion and garlic.