Chickpea and Sausage Stew
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 12 ounces Italian sausage, thawed and casings removed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 10-ounce package frozen leaf spinach
- kosher salt and pepper
- 8 slices bread, toasted (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the sausage and cook, crumbling it with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley and cilantro and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the broth and chickpeas and bring to a boil.
- Add the spinach and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally with a fork to separate the leaves. Stir in ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Divide the toasted bread, if using, among individual bowls and spoon the stew on top.
- Per Serving
- Calories 485Calories From Fat 49%
- Fat 24g
- Sat Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 60mg
- Sodium 1679mg
- Carbohydrate 40g
- Fiber 11g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 29g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .