- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (Indian spice blend)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup basmati or some other long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, tomato paste, garam masala, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables, cover, and cook until the chicken is tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours (this will shorten total recipe time).
- In a small bowl, toss the cucumber and cilantro with the lemon juice and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Twenty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Just before serving, stir the cream into the chicken tikka masala. Serve over the rice with the cucumber relish.
* Total Time ranges from 4 hours, 10 minutes to 8 hours, 10 minutes