- 2 small sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 3 1/2- to 4-pound chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- Heat oven to 400º F. In a large roasting pan, toss the potatoes, onion, thyme, oil, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper.
- Season the chicken with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper and nestle it, skin-side up, among the potatoes and onions.
- Roast until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender, 40 to 50 minutes.