Makes 12 cups| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 4 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, preferably necks, backs, and wings
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- In a large pot, combine the chicken, celery, carrots, onions, parsley, peppercorns, bay leaves, and 16 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, for 2 hours, occasionally skimming off and discarding any foam that rises to the top.
- Strain the stock through a fine-mesh sieve and discard the solids. Let cool completely, then skim off and discard any fat that rises to the top. The stock can be refrigerated for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
- Per ServingServing Size: 1 cup
- Calories 69
- Fat 3g
- Sat Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 28mg
- Sodium 27mg
- Protein 9g
- Carbohydrate 0g
- Sugar 0g
- Fiber 0g
- Iron 1mg
- Calcium 11mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .