Chicken Salad With Apple and Basil
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 4 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 to 3 limes)
- 1 tablespoon white wine or rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 scallions (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- 2 Granny Smith apples (peeled, if desired), diced
- 1/3 cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Pound it to an even thinness.
- Place the chicken in a large saucepan and add water to cover by ½ inch. Add 3 teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cook until no trace of pink remains, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the lime juice, vinegar, and sugar, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the scallions and apples and toss.
- Drain, pat dry, and dice the chicken. Add it to the apple mixture with the peanuts, mint, basil, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Toss and divide among individual plates.
- Per Serving
- Calories 269Calories From Fat 27%
- Fat 8g
- Sat Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 68mg
- Sodium 730mg
- Carbohydrate 20g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 13g
- Protein 31g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
The salad can be refrigerated for up to 1 day.