Chicken and Rice With Peas
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, halved
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. In 2 batches, brown the chicken, 5 to 7 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion and bell pepper to the drippings in the Dutch oven and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the rice, broth, thyme, and chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through, the rice is tender, and most of the liquid is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove the Dutch oven from heat. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Fold the peas and olives into the rice and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Serve with the chicken.
- Per Serving
- Calories 672
- Fat 30g
- Sat Fat 7g
- Cholesterol 143mg
- Sodium 756mg
- Protein 46g
- Carbohydrate 51g
- Sugar 5g
- Fiber 3g
- Iron 5mg
- Calcium 52mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
For authentic Spanish flavor, add a pinch of saffron when cooking the onion and bell pepper.