- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth, warmed
- 3 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 15.5-ounce can hominy, rinsed
- Grated Cheddar, fresh cilantro, and lime wedges, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, poblano, garlic, oregano, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook until they begin to break down, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the broth, chicken, and hominy. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until the chicken is opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Top the soup with the Cheddar and cilantro and serve with the lime wedges.