- 1 3 1/2- to 4-pound chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 1 cup sour cream
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Season the chicken with 3/4 teaspoon of the salt and the black pepper. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the chicken, skin-side down. Cook, without turning, until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook for 3 minutes more. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Spoon off and discard all but 1 tablespoon of the fat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the paprika, and the remaining salt. Bring to a simmer.
- Return the chicken to the pot. Transfer to the oven. Bake until the chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the cucumber and vinegar (if desired). Divide the chicken among the plates and serve with a dollop of the sour cream and the cucumbers (if serving).