Chicken With Olives and Carrots
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, combine rice, 2 cups water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Stir once, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 50 minutes. (Do not lift the lid or stir!) Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes; fluff with a fork before serving.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the broth, carrots, olives, and red pepper and simmer, covered, until the carrots are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and cook until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley and serve over the rice.
- Per Serving
- Calories 465Calories From Fat 20%
- Protein 41g
- Carbohydrate 49g
- Sugar 5g
- Fiber 5g
- Fat 11g
- Sat Fat 2g
- Calcium 102mg
- Iron 4mg
- Sodium 573mg
- Cholesterol 96mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .