Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 3 1/2- to 4-pound chicken, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Working in batches, lightly coat the chicken with the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Add some of the chicken to the pan. Cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Add the carrot, celery, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf. Cook for 10 minutes. Crush the tomatoes and stir them into the vegetables. Add the wine and the remaining salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken, reduce heat, and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes, turning the pieces occasionally. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the parsley and serve on individual plates.
- Per Serving
- Calories 803Calories From Fat 63%
- Fat 56g
- Sat Fat 14g
- Cholesterol 207mg
- Sodium 943mg
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 54g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .