Chicken, Avocado, and Orange Salad
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)
- 2 large navel oranges
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 (5-ounce) packages mixed salad greens, such as Bibb and radicchio, or romaine blend
- 1 firm, ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, orange juice, oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper until well blended.
- Cook the chicken breasts in boiling, salted water for 10 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Remove the chicken and cool 5 minutes on a cutting board before slicing into long strips.
- Transfer the warm sliced chicken to a bowl and toss with a few tablespoons of vinaigrette. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- With a sharp knife, remove the orange peel and white pith from the oranges. Slice crosswise into thin rounds.
- In a large bowl, toss the onion and lettuce with the remaining vinaigrette. Divide between bowls and top the salads with the chicken, oranges, and avocado slices.
- Per Serving
- Calories 432Calories From Fat 264
- Fat 30g
- Sat Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 63mg
- Sodium 326mg
- Protein 25g
- Carbohydrate 18g
- Sugar 9g
- Fiber 6g
- Iron 2mg
- Calcium 53mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Upgrade this salad by adding chopped slices of cooked bacon or pancetta.