sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
extra-virgin olive oil
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)
large navel oranges
small red onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
mixed salad greens, such as Bibb and radicchio, or romaine blend
firm, ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, orange juice, oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper until well blended.
- Cook the chicken breasts in boiling, salted water for 10 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Remove the chicken and cool 5 minutes on a cutting board before slicing into long strips.
- Transfer the warm sliced chicken to a bowl and toss with a few tablespoons of vinaigrette. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- With a sharp knife, remove the orange peel and white pith from the oranges. Slice crosswise into thin rounds.
- In a large bowl, toss the onion and lettuce with the remaining vinaigrette. Divide between bowls and top the salads with the chicken, oranges, and avocado slices.