Chicken and Sweet Potatoes With Shallots
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (each 6 ounces)
- 4 shallots, sliced into thin rings
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh rosemary
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot. Add enough cold water to cover and bring to a boil.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 14 to 16 minutes. Reserve ¼ cup of the cooking water, drain the sweet potatoes, and return them to the pot. Mash with the reserved cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Cook the chicken until golden brown and cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes per side. Transfer to plates.
- Wipe out the skillet. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots, rosemary, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring, until the shallots are tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve the chicken with the potatoes and drizzle with the shallot mixture.
- Per Serving
- Calories 424Calories From Fat 157
- Protein 37g
- Carbohydrate 29g
- Sugar 9g
- Fiber 4g
- Fat 18g
- Sat Fat 3g
- Calcium 57mg
- Iron 3mg
- Sodium 718mg
- Cholesterol 94mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Mashing sweet potatoes with some of their cooking water is a low-fat alternative to using butter, cream, or milk. You can do the same with white potatoes.