Chicken and Dumplings
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 carrots, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 leek (white and light green parts), halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 rotisserie chicken (2 1/2 to 3 pounds), meat shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, and leek and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle with ½ cup of the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute (do not let it darken).
- Stir in the broth, wine, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and reduce to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of flour, baking soda, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir in the sour cream and egg.
- Drop full tablespoons of the dough into the stew and cook, covered, until the dumplings are plump and cooked through, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Sprinkle the soup with the dill before serving.
- Per Serving
- Calories 662Calories From Fat 237
- Protein 54g
- Carbohydrate 45g
- Sugar 5g
- Fiber 3g
- Fat 26g
- Sat Fat 13g
- Calcium 86mg
- Iron 5mg
- Sodium 832mg
- Cholesterol 227mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .