Slow Cooker Soy-Braised Chicken
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- black pepper
- 8 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs (about 1 3⁄4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 large head bok choy, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the onions, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, bay leaf, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Place the chicken on top and sprinkle with the paprika.
- Cook, covered, until the chicken and onions are tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total cooking time).
- Twenty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Ten minutes before serving, if the slow cooker is on the low setting, turn it to high. Gently fold the bok choy into the chicken and cook, covered, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve with the rice and sprinkle with the scallions.
- Per Serving
- Calories 497Calories From Fat 111
- Fat 12g
- Sat Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 99mg
- Sodium 1,989mg
- Protein 37g
- Carbohydrate 60g
- Sugar 11g
- Fiber 4g
- Iron 5mg
- Calcium 279mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
You can easily substitute spinach or chard for the bok choy.