- 1 3 ½- to 4-pound chicken
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 40 cloves peeled garlic (from 3 to 4 heads)
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat oven to 450° F. Place the chicken in a large cast iron or other ovenproof skillet; tie the legs with kitchen twine and season with 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Add the garlic, oregano, and lemon to the skillet; drizzle with the oil. Continue to roast, tossing the garlic and lemon once, until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh registers 165° F, 25 to 30 minutes more. Let rest 10 minutes before carving.
- Discard the oregano sprigs. Serve the chicken with the garlic and lemon.