- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4cup vegetable shortening (preferably trans-fat-free)
- 2/3cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2cup molasses
- 1teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4cup granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 350° F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, pepper, and cloves.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the shortening and sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and beat in the egg, molasses, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture, mixing just until combined (do not overmix).
- Place the granulated sugar on a plate. Roll heaping tablespoonfuls of the dough into balls; roll in the sugar to coat. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Using a glass, press the balls to a ⅜-inch thickness and sprinkle with more granulated sugar.
- Bake, rotating the sheets halfway through, until the edges are firm, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to racks to cool completely. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.