- 4cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2teaspoons baking soda
- 2teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2teaspoon ground cloves
- 1cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2cup molasses
- 1/4cup canola oil
- 1/2cup granulated or coarse decorating sugar
- Heat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, then the molasses and oil.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just combined (do not overmix).
- Place the granulated sugar on a plate. Shape the dough into balls (about 2 tablespoons each) and, a few at a time, roll in the sugar to coat. Place 3 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Bake, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until the edges are firm but the centers are still slightly soft, 16 to 18 minutes. Let cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.