- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the pan
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
- 2-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 10 ounces mozzarella, cut into ½-inch cubes (2 cups)
- Heat oven to 400° F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch cake pan; dust with flour.
- Whisk the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cayenne in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the butter, buttermilk, and eggs, then stir in the cheese. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined. Spread evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool in the pan until warm. Cut into squares.