- 3/4pound medium pasta shells
- 1tablespoon butter
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2cups whole milk
- 2cups grated Cheddar
- 1/8teaspoon ground nutmeg
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 16-ounce package frozen broccoli florets
- Heat broiler. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add 1 ½ cups of the cheese and stir until melted. Stir in the nutmeg, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Add the pasta and broccoli and toss to combine. Transfer to a broilerproof 8-inch square or a 1 ½-quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup of cheese. Broil until golden, 3 to 4 minutes.