Tortellini with Spinach and Brown Butter
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 small bunch flat-leaf spinach, thick stems removed (about 6 cups)
- 1 medium beefsteak tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Cook the tortellini according to the package directions, adding the peas during the last minute of cooking.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach and tomato and cook, tossing occasionally, until the spinach is wilted and the tomato begins to soften, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Add the tortellini, peas, lemon zest and juice, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper to the skillet and toss to combine.
- Per Serving
- Calories 491
- Fat 19g
- Sat Fat 11g
- Cholesterol 73mg
- Sodium 833mg
- Protein 20g
- Carbohydrate 62g
- Sugar 8g
- Fiber 6g
- Iron 4mg
- Calcium 222mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Besides adding a rich, toasty note to pasta, brown butter makes a tasty sauce for fish and steamed vegetables. Watch the butter as it cooks: It will begin to brown and smell nutty once the foam has subsided. (If it smells burned, you’ve gone too far.)