- 3/4 pound rigatoni or another short pasta
- 1 pound red new potatoes (about 10), halved or quartered if large
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 small Savoy cabbage (1 1/2 pounds), cored, cut into 2-inch pieces, and leaves separated
- 1 cup fontina, grated (4 ounces)
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, reserving ¾ cup of the cooking water; drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 450° F. Toss the potatoes, oil, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes.
- Add the cabbage to the potatoes, toss to combine, return to oven, and roast until the potatoes and cabbage are tender and beginning to brown, 12 to 15 minutes more.
- Add the potato mixture, fontina, and ½ cup of the reserved cooking water to the pasta and toss to coat (adding more cooking water as needed to loosen the sauce).