- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar
- 2 tablespoons minced chives or scallions
- Heat oven to 400° F. Lightly coat 2 cookie sheets with vegetable cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup of water with the butter, oil, salt, and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add the flour all at once. Stir with a wooden spoon until the ingredients form a smooth paste.
- Stir in 1 egg with a wooden spoon, until completely blended. Repeat with the remaining 3 eggs. Stir in the Cheddar and chives.
- Using a teaspoon, drop balls of batter onto the cookie sheets. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until the puffs are firm and well browned. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- To keep for up to 2 days, cut a small slit in the side of each puff immediately after removal from the oven. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
This recipe makes 4 dozen puffs.