Cheese, Onion, and Bread Soufflé
Serves 6-8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus more for the dish
- 10 slices (about 10 ounces) stale soft white or sourdough bread, crusts removed and torn into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups hot milk
- 1 small onion, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 4 eggs, separated
- 7 ounces Swiss cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Butter a 2- to 2 1/2-quart soufflé or baking dish; set aside.
- Place the bread in a shallow bowl and pour the milk over it. Set aside until the liquid is absorbed. Meanwhile, melt the 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Mash the bread with your hands or a spoon and stir in the onions.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cayenne. Pour the mixture over the bread, stirring until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then gently fold them into the bread mixture in 3 additions. Transfer to the soufflé dish and bake in oven until golden and firm, 45 to 50 minutes. Serve with salad greens and shredded carrots.
- Per Serving
- Calories 291Calories From Fat 45%
- Calcium 368mg
- Carbohydrate 26g
- Cholesterol 42mg
- Fat 15g
- Fiber 1g
- Iron 2mg
- Protein 13mg
- Sat Fat 9g
- Sodium 519mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .