Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound Cheddar, preferably white, grated (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- kosher salt
- croutons or crusty bread (optional)
- In a large saucepan, cook the celery, carrots, and apple in the oil over medium heat until softened, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and potato and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until the potato is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Return to saucepan, whisk in the Cheddar and Worcestershire, and season to taste with salt.
- Serve the soup with croutons or bread (if desired).
- Per Serving
- Calories 281
- Calcium 364mg
- Carbohydrate 15g
- Cholesterol 48mg
- Fat 18g
- Fiber 3g
- Iron 1mg
- Protein 15mg
- Sat Fat 10g
- Sodium 713mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .