- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup grits (not instant or quick cooking)
- 1 cup grated white Cheddar (4 ounces)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a medium saucepan, bring 4¼ cups water to a boil. Add 1½ teaspoons salt. Slowly whisk in the grits. Reduce heat to low and cook, whisking frequently, until the grits thicken and pull away from the side of the pan, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the Cheddar and stir until it melted. Top with the scallions, butter, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.