- 2cups all-purpose flour
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/4teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, chilled and cut into a 1/4-inch dice
- 2/3cup heavy cream, plus 1 tablespoon for brushing
- 1cup (about 4 ounces) grated Cheddar
- 1tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- Heat oven to 425° F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives held crisscross fashion, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 2/3 cup of the cream. Add the Cheddar and chives and use your hands to combine; the dough should be crumbly. Knead the dough a couple of times until it comes together.
- Gently pat it into a ball, then flatten slightly into a 1-inch-thick disk. Transfer to a baking sheet. Slice into quarters, then cut each quarter in half. Brush the top with the remaining cream. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden.