Cheddar and Beer Soup
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 small carrots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 12 ounces beer (not dark)
- 3 cups grated sharp Cheddar, plus more for garnishing
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1 baguette
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic. Cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stirring constantly, add the flour and cook for 3 minutes; the mixture will clump. Still stirring constantly, add the broth slowly and cook until a thick, smooth paste forms, 3 minutes. Still stirring, slowly add the milk, then the beer. Cook until the foam subsides and the mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the Cheddar, salt, pepper, sugar, and hot sauce (if using) and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the baguette. Arrange on a baking sheet and brush with the oil. Bake until golden, 13 to 15 minutes. Ladle the soup into individual bowls and top with additional grated Cheddar and the baguette slices.
- Per Serving
- Calories 788.89Calories From Fat 58%
- Calcium 800.53mg
- Carbohydrate 43.9g
- Cholesterol 131.29mg
- Fat 51.38g
- Fiber 2.85g
- Iron 2.52mg
- Protein 31.27mg
- Sat Fat 28.51g
- Sodium 1391.7mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .