- 1 2-pound salmon fillet, skin on
- 1 cedar plank, soaked in water 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat a gas grill to high; adjust to medium low after 15 minutes. (If cooking over charcoal, allow the coals to burn until they are covered with white ash.)
- Place the salmon skin-side down on the cedar plank.
- Combine the brown sugar, oil, thyme, and cayenne in a bowl. Brush over the salmon.
- Place the planked salmon on the grilling grate and cook, with the grill covered, until mostly cooked through but still slightly pink in the middle, about 40 minutes.