Carrots With Spicy Olive-Lemon Oil
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3 pounds carrots—peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces, and halved lengthwise if thick
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, very thinly sliced, plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Steam the carrots in a steamer basket in a large saucepan until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, warm the oil, lemon, olives, and crushed red pepper over medium-high heat until the lemon is softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the carrots, lemon juice, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper and toss gently to combine.
- Per Serving
- Calories 146
- Fat 9g
- Sat Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 461mg
- Protein 2g
- Carbohydrate 16g
- Sugar 7g
- Fiber 5g
- Iron 1mg
- Calcium 56mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
To prep ahead: Steam the carrots and make the lemon mixture up to 1 day in advance; refrigerate separately, covered. On the day of the party: Warm the lemon mixture in a skillet. Add the carrots, lemon juice, parsley, salt, and pepper and cook, tossing occasionally, until warmed through.