Caramelized Pumpkin and Pear Crumble
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 large ripe pears, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 15-ounce cans pumpkin puree
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, combine pears, 4 tablespoons of butter, maple syrup, vanilla, and spices and cook until the pears are tender, 9 to 10 minutes. Add pumpkin and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Place the flour, brown sugar, and remaining butter in a bowl. With your fingers, work the butter into the dry ingredients until large crumbs form. Add the walnuts and combine well.
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- In a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, spread the pumpkin-pear mixture evenly on the bottom. Sprinkle the topping over it and bake until golden brown and bubbling, about 40 to 50 minutes. Serve warm.
- Per Serving
- Calories 470
- Calcium 76mg
- Carbohydrate 60g
- Cholesterol 53mg
- Fat 25g
- Fiber 6g
- Iron 3mg
- Protein 5mg
- Sat Fat 13g
- Sodium 16mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
When baking a fruit pie, put a foil-lined baking sheet on the bottom of the oven to catch bubbling juices.