Caramelized Onion Tarts With Apples
Makes 2 tarts| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 red apples (such as Braeburn or Gala), cut into small pieces
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry (from a 17.3-ounce package), thawed
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- Heat oven to 400º F. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in the apples, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook until just tender, 2 minutes.
- Place each sheet of pastry on a parchment-lined baking sheet and prick all over with a fork. Spread with the crème fraîche, leaving a ½-inch border. Top with the onion mixture and bake until the pastry is crisp and browned, 30 to 35 minutes. Cut into pieces before serving.
- Per Serving
- Calories 320
- Fat 21g
- Sat Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 10mg
- Sodium 403mg
- Protein 5mg
- Carbohydrate 26g
- Fiber 2g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
The tarts can be assembled and frozen up to 1 month in advance. Freeze them, unbaked, on parchment-lined baking sheets until firm, then wrap in plastic. To cook, bake from frozen at 400º F for 40 to 50 minutes; keep warm at 250º F. Cut just before serving.