- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 8-ounce bar cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1cup sour cream
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- thick-cut potato and vegetable chips, for serving
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the onions, cream cheese, sour cream, chives, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Serve with the chips.