- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces gingersnaps (about 31 cookies), broken into pieces, plus 2 ounces (about 10 cookies), crumbled, for serving
- 6 bananas, sliced
- Banana Caramel, for serving
- Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a large pot. Gradually whisk in the egg yolks, then the milk and ½ cup of the heavy cream.
- Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and beginning to bubble, 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, whisking constantly, until the pudding starts to pull away from the edge of the saucepan, 1 minute more. Remove from heat and pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl, pushing the pudding through gently with a spatula or spoon. Add the butter and vanilla and stir until melted.
- Cover with plastic wrap (directly on the surface of the pudding) and refrigerate until cold and firm, at least 3 hours.
- Beat the remaining 1½ cups of heavy cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, 2 to 4 minutes. Fold the cream into the pudding mixture.
- Line the bottom of a 2-quart serving dish or a large bowl with half the gingersnaps. Top with half the bananas, then half the pudding; repeat. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Just before serving, top with the gingersnap crumbs. Serve drizzled with the Banana Caramel.