Cannellini Bean and Sausage Gratin
Serves 4-6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 sweet Italian sausages (about 1 pound), casings removed
- 1 small bulb fennel, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped sage
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, chopped (about 10 cups)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly coat an 8-by-10-inch baking or gratin dish with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, crumble the sausages and cook, breaking up, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the sausage from skillet and set aside. Add the fennel and onion to skillet and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and sage and cook 1 minute more. Add the Swiss chard, a handful at a time, stirring until slightly wilted. Stir in the broth, beans, sausage, salt, and pepper. Spoon the mixture into the baking dish and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the bread crumbs and Parmesan with the remaining olive oil. Sprinkle the bread-crumb mixture on top and bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Serve warm.
- Per Serving
- Calories 495Calories From Fat 42%
- Calcium 232mg
- Carbohydrate 47g
- Cholesterol 31mg
- Fat 23g
- Fiber 10g
- Iron 6mg
- Protein 25mg
- Sat Fat 7g
- Sodium 896mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .