Camarones Enchiladas (Reader Recipe From Alejandra Ramos)
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika, preferably smoked
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- kosher salt
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 1 14.5-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/4 pounds peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- 8 small whole-wheat tortillas, warmed
- Sliced avocado, chipotle-flavored hot sauce, and crumbled queso fresco (fresh white Mexican cheese, available in many supermarkets) or Feta, for serving
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, crushed red pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the cilantro, wine, capers, and tomatoes, crushing them with your hands as you add them. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and lime juice to the tomato mixture and cook until the shrimp are opaque throughout, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve with the tortillas, avocado, hot sauce, queso fresco, cilantro, and lime wedges, if desired.
- Per Serving
- Calories 528
- Fat 16g
- Sat Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 216mg
- Sodium 984mg
- Protein 38g
- Carbohydrate 53g
- Sugar 6g
- Fiber 6g
- Iron 6mg
- Calcium 112mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Use a paring knife to devein shrimp.