Cajun Catfish With Black-Eyed Peas and Stewed Collards
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 bunches collard greens (about 1 1/2 pounds), thick stems discarded and leaves cut into strips (about 12 cups)
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 6-ounce skinless catfish, tilapia, or striped bass fillets
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 15.5-ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the collard greens, tomatoes (with their juices), and ½ cup water. Cover and cook, tossing occasionally, until the greens are tender, 18 to 20 minutes (if the pan becomes dry, add up to ½ cup water).
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the fish with the Cajun seasoning and ¼ teaspoon salt. Working in 2 batches, cook the fish until opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- In a small saucepan, heat the black-eyed peas with 2 tablespoons water and the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium heat until warmed through, 2 to 4 minutes. Serve the fish with the collard greens, black-eyed peas, and lemon wedges.
- Per Serving
- Calories 453
- Fat 23g
- Sat Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 97mg
- Sodium 888mg
- Protein 36g
- Carbohydrate 25g
- Sugar 4g
- Fiber 9g
- Iron 5mg
- Calcium 307mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .