medium onion, chopped
kosher salt and black pepper
bunches collard greens (about 1 1/2 pounds), thick stems discarded and leaves cut into strips (about 12 cups)
14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
6-ounce skinless catfish, tilapia, or striped bass fillets
15.5-ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed
lemon wedges, for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the collard greens, tomatoes (with their juices), and ½ cup water. Cover and cook, tossing occasionally, until the greens are tender, 18 to 20 minutes (if the pan becomes dry, add up to ½ cup water).
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the fish with the Cajun seasoning and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, in 2 batches, until opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Heat the black-eyed peas with 2 tablespoons water and the remaining tablespoon of oil in a small pot over medium heat until warmed through, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Serve the fish with the collard greens, black-eyed peas, and lemon wedges.