Cabbage and Sausage Casserole
Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- Heat oven to 400°. Slice the cabbage 1/2 inch thick. Place 1/3 of the cabbage in a Dutch oven or casserole.
- From each sausage, trim 1 end and, starting at the other end, squeeze to remove the meat from the casing.
- Arrange half the sausage on top of the cabbage. Press firmly. Top with half the remaining cabbage and all the remaining sausage and press again. Spread the remaining cabbage over the sausage. Cover with foil and bake until the cabbage is tender, about 1 hour, 40 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream and horseradish or mustard. Slice the casserole
into wedges and serve with the sour cream mixture.
- Per Serving
- Calories 616Calories From Fat 76%
- Fat 52g
- Sat Fat 19g
- Cholesterol 128mg
- Sodium 1,191mg
- Carbohydrate 11g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 25g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Cooking pork to an internal temperature of 150° F (before resting) yields a perfectly cooked and juicy finished product (a slight trace of pink is fine). This is a high enough temperature to kill the bacteria trichinosis, which only affects 1 percent of hogs in the United States.