Butternut Squash Soup With Sage and Parmesan Croutons
Serves 6-8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 3-pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes (5 to 6 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage (about 6 large leaves)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Sage and Parmesan Croutons
- Preheat oven to 400° F. In a large bowl, toss the squash with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 2 teaspoons of the salt, and the pepper. Place the squash on a rimmed baking sheet and roast in oven for 15 minutes. Turn the cubes over and continue roasting for 15 minutes or until they are caramelized; set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or a large stockpot, heat the butter and the remaining oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and sage and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are translucent and tender, 10 minutes. Add the squash, broth, and the remaining salt and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the liquid is flavorful. Remove from heat.
- Using a blender or a food processor, blend the soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pot and keep warm. Top with Sage and Parmesan Croutons and the grated Parmesan.
- Per Serving
- Calories 298Calories From Fat 51%
- Calcium 201mg
- Carbohydrate 31g
- Cholesterol 11mg
- Fat 17g
- Fiber 5g
- Iron 2mg
- Protein 8mg
- Sat Fat 4g
- Sodium 1226mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .