Butternut Squash Soup
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 4 leeks (white and light green parts), chopped
- 1 3-pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup shelled raw pumpkin seeds, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 baguette, sliced (optional)
- Place the leeks, squash, bay leaf, broth, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth (or use a handheld immersion blender).
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the rosemary and seeds, if desired, and heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Divide the soup among bowls and top with the rosemary mixture. Serve with the bread, if desired.
- Per Serving
- Calories 222
- Fat 3g
- Sat Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 6mg
- Sodium 565mg
- Protein 9g
- Carbohydrate 44g
- Fiber 10g
- Calcium 2.2g
- Sugar 10g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .