leeks (white and light green parts), chopped
3-pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
kosher salt and black pepper
fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
shelled raw pumpkin seeds, roughly chopped (optional)
baguette, sliced (optional)
- Place the leeks, squash, bay leaf, broth, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth (or use a handheld immersion blender).
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the rosemary and seeds, if desired, and heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Divide the soup among bowls and top with the rosemary mixture. Serve with the bread, if desired.