Butternut Squash Salad With Hazelnuts and Blue Cheese
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, delicata squash, or sugar pumpkin—peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 6 cups mixed greens (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
- Heat oven to 400° F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the squash with 2 tablespoons of the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Roast, tossing once, until golden brown and tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, spread the hazelnuts on a second rimmed baking sheet and toast in oven, tossing occasionally, until fragrant, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool slightly, then rub in a clean dish towel to remove the skins (discard skins). Roughly chop.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add the squash, hazelnuts, greens, and onion and toss to combine. Sprinkle with the blue cheese.
- Per Serving
- Calories 434
- Fat 35g
- Sat Fat 8g
- Cholesterol 21mg
- Sodium 822mg
- Protein 11g
- Carbohydrate 24g
- Sugar 6g
- Fiber 8g
- Iron 3mg
- Calcium 232mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .