Butternut Squash With Cumin Couscous
Serves 6-8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 butternut squash (2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup dark or golden raisins
- 1 32-ounce container vegetable broth
- 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) almonds, chopped
- Halve and peel the squash. Remove the seeds and cut the squash into 1-inch chunks. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cayenne, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon of the cumin and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the squash, tomatoes, raisins, broth, chickpeas, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover and cook until the squash is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water and the remaining cumin and salt to a boil. Stir in the couscous. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Divide the couscous among individual bowls and ladle the squash over the top. Sprinkle with the parsley and almonds.
- Per Serving
- Calories 325Calories From Fat 19%
- Fat 7g
- Sat Fat 1g
- Sodium 1,178mg
- Carbohydrate 59g
- Fiber 8g
- Sugar 13g
- Protein 10g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .