Burgers With Shallots and Vegetable Fries
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 4 medium carrots (1/2 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick sticks
- 1 small rutabaga (1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick sticks
- 4 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 large shallots, sliced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef chuck
- 4 soft buns
- mayonnaise and lettuce, for serving
- Heat oven to 450° F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the carrots and rutabaga with 2 tablespoons oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Roast the vegetables, tossing once, until golden brown and tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring often, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the vinegar; transfer to a bowl. Wipe out the skillet.
- Form the beef into four ½-inch-thick patties and season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Heat the remaining teaspoon oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the patties 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Serve the burgers on buns with the mayonnaise and lettuce, if desired. Top with the shallots and serve with the fries.
- Per Serving
- Calories 597
- Fat 33g
- Sat Fat 9g
- Cholesterol 83mg
- Sodium 836mg
- Protein 32g
- Carbohydrate 43g
- Sugar 14g
- Fiber 5g
- Iron 5mg
- Calcium 156mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .