- 1 1/4pounds ground chuck (85 percent lean or less)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- canola oil, for the grill
- 4 soft onion rolls, split
- 1/2cup onion dip
- 4 leaves Bibb lettuce
- 16 bread-and-butter pickle chips
- 1cup ridged potato chips
- Heat grill to medium-high. Form the beef into four ¾-inch-thick patties. Use your fingers to make a shallow well in the top of each patty. (This will prevent overplumping during cooking.) Season with a total of ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Oil the grill and cook the patties with the wells facing up for 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 155° F for medium, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, grill the rolls until toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Dividing evenly, spread the rolls with the onion dip. Form sandwiches with the rolls, burgers, lettuce, pickles, and potato chips.