- 1 1/4 pounds ground chuck (85 percent lean or less)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- canola oil, for the grill
- 4 ounces Cheddar, sliced
- 8 slices multigrain bread
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 leaves red leaf lettuce
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup alfalfa or radish sprouts
- Heat grill to medium-high. Form the beef into four ¾-inch-thick patties. Use your fingers to make a shallow well in the top of each patty. (This will prevent overplumping during cooking.) Season with a total of ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Oil the grill and cook the patties with the wells facing up for 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 155° F for medium, 4 to 5 minutes more, topping the burgers with the Cheddar during the last 3 minutes of cooking. Dividing evenly, spread the bread with the mayonnaise. Form sandwiches with the bread, lettuce, burgers, avocado, and sprouts.