- 8 slices bacon
- 1 1/4pounds ground chuck (85 percent lean or less)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- canola oil, for the grill
- 4 large slices pumpernickel bread
- 1/4cup whole-grain mustard
- 1/2cup drained sauerkraut
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; let cool.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Form the beef into four ¾-inch-thick patties. Use your fingers to make a shallow well in the top of each patty. (This will prevent overplumping during cooking.) Season with a total of ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Oil the grill and cook the patties with the wells facing up for 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 155° F for medium, 4 to 5 minutes more. Cut the bread in half crosswise and, dividing evenly, spread with the mustard. Form sandwiches with the bread, burgers, bacon, and sauerkraut.