Brown Sugar-Glazed Carrots With Rosemary and Pecans
Serves 8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 3 pounds carrots—peeled, cut into 2-inch lengths, and halved lengthwise if large
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Heat oven to 375° F. Spread the pecans on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in oven, tossing once, until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool, then roughly chop.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the carrots, brown sugar, butter, rosemary, cayenne, ½ cup water, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the carrots begin to soften, 8 to 10 minutes. Uncover the saucepan and cook, stirring often, until the carrots are tender and the liquid has thickened, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Discard the rosemary and toss the carrots with the lemon juice and pecans.
- Per Serving
- Calories 212
- Fat 11g
- Sat Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 15mg
- Sodium 471mg
- Protein 2g
- Carbohydrate 29g
- Sugar 21g
- Fiber 5g
- Iron 1mg
- Calcium 69mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
The pecans can be toasted up to 2 days in advance; keep at room temperature, covered. The carrots can be peeled, cut, and combined with the butter, rosemary, cayenne, salt, and pepper up to 2 days in advance; refrigerate, covered, then transfer to a large saucepan, add the water and sugar, and proceed with the recipe.